Thursday, August 12, 2004

The Book of the Dun Cow

Have been re-reading a really great story called "The Book of the Dun Cow" by Walt Wangerin, Jr. It's a lovely story of faith lost then found again, of the meek sacrificing himself to save those he loves, of deepest grief & loss overcome by joy & hope, of earth-shattering darkness & evil overpowered by love & light. It's one of those books where each time you read it you get more out of it. (To me, this is the hallmark of a classic story.)

It's similar in writing to "Animal Farm" because Wangerin tells these great Truths through the lives of animals. As well as being a wonderful author, Mr. Wangerin is a pastor so his stories are filled with biblical truths. I love the earthiness he brings to these stories because it rings so true to what is real life. I've especially loved his short stories which are from his own life experiences as a white pastor of a black congregation in East St. Louis, including, "Miz Lil, and the Chronicles of Grace", "Ragman, and Other Cries of Faith" (this book contains my all-time favorite allegory-->"Ragman", read it if you can 'coz it will bless you!), "The Manger is Empty", and the devotional, "Preparing for Jesus". I recommend all of these books highly & know they can be ordered from any library or bookstore (although some may be out of print). My favorites are "Ragman" and "The Manger is Empty".

I recommend these books because they have been such a blessing to me in my walk with God.

No comments: