Monday, July 11, 2005

The joy of a Vocation

I recently started a job at the University of Illinois, in which I am taking the place of an Academic Professional who is having surgery and will be out several weeks. I work for Dr. Benita Katzenellenbogen who is one of the premiere researchers in the effects of estrogen on Breast Cancer. It is a joy to work for someone who is making such a difference in so many thousands of peoples' lives. I mainly do clerical work, but it is interesting and requires me to use my brain, not just do mindless grunt-work.

Dr. K., as her staff and students call her, is a perfectionist to the nth degree. I've found that the person whose place I'm taking has found it difficult to work for her and that others also have had this problem, but I like the work! Perhaps it's because I'm a perfectionist as well, and that I've worked with many physicians who were also perfectionists. I just enjoy trying to do my best and finding that it is appreciated by Dr. K. I'm glad to be where I am and can't help praying that I'll be able to keep the job (that her AP will decide to retire, etc., not that I'll make her lose her job!). I would still like to do nursing part-time, but really long for this job to become permanent.

No comments: